Subscribe

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Halloween Math Game

I love this time of year when all the fun holidays begin, which means great themes in the classroom!  As we approach Halloween, I'm incorporating more themes into our math & reading centers.  One game that I've used is "1,2,3 FLIP!"  This is also known as "War."  Teaching kindergarten, I keep everything positive, so we call the game "1,2,3 FLIP!"  The objective is to compare numbers by flipping your top card.  I used ten frames 0-10 and the numerals 0-10.  Each person has a set of cards that are the same color.  

I made this game to hit the kindergarten standard of comparing numbers 0-10.  Kids love to play games and most like a little competition, so I thought this would be a great & easy way to incorporate all of the above in my classroom.  

I'm always on the look out for engaging & meaningful games to use in my centers that also don't take a TON of prep time.  

Before bringing a new game into my classroom, I always like to test it out on my own kids at home.  I have a 1st grader and a preschooler, so it's a perfect combination to see how my classroom kiddos would play the game.  I can quickly see if it's too easy, too hard, or just boring!  Ha.

Here is what I discovered.  My 1st grader LOVED the game and my preschooler not so much.  In fact, she gave up at one point.  She didn't like the fact that her sister knew the numbers quickly and that she kept winning.  


This is when I realized that this game can be played with just one person too, in case someone quits :)!

 

My first grader gave the game 2 thumbs up and my preschooler went and took a nap.  I think I'll play with her next time.

 I made 4 different sets of cards:
Pumpkins, Monsters, Mummy/Ghosts, and Bats/Spiders
Click HERE if you're looking for a fun game to add to your October math centers!

*My kids liked the monster cards the best!*

No comments:

Post a Comment